This cabbage casserole is a game changer! Just a few steps and you can be enjoying a delicious meal. I have always loved cabbage rolls but this is so much easier and oh so tasty!Print
This cabbage casserole is not only easy but it is extremely tasty. I love cabbage rolls, but I honestly do not have time to prepare them. This recipe is so much easier than trying to roll the cabbage and this casserole taste just as great.
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans 15 oz each tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dill weed
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 medium head of cabbage shredded
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain
- Stir in one can of tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, combined and heat through.
- In a 13 in x 9 in x 2 in baking dish layer a third of the cabbage. Top with half of the meat mixture and repeat. Top with remaining cabbage and pour the remaining tomato sauce over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375⁰ for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving