Crispy Kale Chips
These chips are not only healthy..... they are just so good! I haven't been able to stop eating them!! They are so easy to make too. They are also a guilt free snack that you can enjoy without the worry.
How to make these crispy kale chips
If you’re looking for a healthy and satisfying alternative to fried potato chips, you are in the right place. These crispy kale chips are super easy to make, but there are a couple things to keep in mind before you begin:
The first consideration is finding the right combination of oven
temperature and cooking time. These chips will burn very quickly, so keep a
close eye on them, especially the first time you make them. Here, a 325-degree
oven and 6-7 minutes was all that was needed to yield crispy chips that weren’t
soggy or overly bitter and brown. However, you’ll want to test this closely in
your own oven to find the right balance.
Next, the kale needs to be completely dry before popping it in the oven. Moisture left on the leaves can create steam, which leads to soggy chips. Also, don’t overdo it on the olive oil. Add a small amount and massage it in until each leaf is very lightly coated. If more oil is needed, add it in very small increments until each leaf is coated.
Finally, feel free to experiment with any combination of seasonings you desire. Basic sea salt is perfect on its own, but in this case the addition of smoked paprika, garlic powder, and ground cumin adds a little more depth to the flavor.Print
- 2 large bunches kale, tough stems removed and torn into chunks
- 1½ - 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. smoked paprika
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 2 t. ground cumin
- Sea Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Wash kale leaves and dry completely before adding to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil and toss to combine while rubbing each leaf with your fingers to make sure it is evenly coated in oil.
- Sprinkle smoked paprika, garlic powder, and cumin on top of kale and season with sea salt, to taste. Toss until evenly combined.
- Arrange seasoned kale leaves on prepared baking sheet in a single layer, being careful to not overcrowd them. Work in batches, if necessary.
- Place baking sheet in pre-heated oven and bake for 5-6 minutes before rotating the pan. Bake for another 1-2 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove chips from oven when they are still mostly green, with only a tiny bit of brown developing.
- Let chips sit for 2-3 minutes to crisp up a bit more before serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: Kale chips, seasoned kale chips