Fast and healthy southwest-style chicken salad with tomatoes, corn, avocado, and wonton chips - topped with freshly made lime dressing.
This deliciously vibrant salad is packed with flavor. The marinated chicken is delicious enough to eat by itself, but why do that!!
It is very easy to make with just a little prep work.
Ingredient For Southwest-Style Chicken Salad
Feel free to use this recipe as a guide and change up the ingredients as you prefer.
- Chicken- use boneless, skinless chicken breast seasoned with cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt.
- Shredded red cabbage, chopped romaine, and baby arugula.
- Toppings- corn, avocado, tomatoes, and wonton chips.
- Freshly made dressing with lime juice and olive oil.
Can I use Canned or Frozen Corn?
Of course, you can use canned or frozen corn. I just prefer to use fresh corn off the cob. Either way, whichever corn you decide to use, I recommend still heating it up in the pan with butter. This extra step really brings out the flavor. You can also always grill the corn, but keep in mind that it will take a little extra time.Print
Southwestern Chicken Salad
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups chopped romaine
- 1 cup of arugula
- 1 cup whole kernel corn ( 2-3 corn cobs)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, halved and cube
- 1 ½ cups wonton chips
- In a small bowl mix together ¼ teaspoon of salt, cumin, garlic powder and chili powder. Sprinkle both side of chicken with spice mixture. In a skillet heat the 2 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 8-12 minutes until fully cooked or internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Let cool slightly and slice.
- While chicken is cooking prepare the dressing. Combine 5 tablespoon olive oil and 3 tablespoon lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice corn from 2-3 cobs. Add butter and corn to a small skillet and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine cabbage, romaine, arugula, corn, tomatoes, and avocado. Top with chicken, wonton chips, and dressing. Enjoy!
Keywords: southwest chicken salad