This recipe replaces traditional pasta with healthy and delicious fresh zucchini noodles, so you can indulge in it often without any guilt.
All'arrabbiata is a spicy Italian red sauce made with red pepper flakes. It is traditionally served with rigatoni or penne noodles, but here it is paired with crisp-tender spaghetti-like zucchini noodles.
If you’d like to save a little time, you can use prepared arrabbiata sauce. However, you can make your own from scratch in less than half an hour or you can make large batches in advance, and freeze the rest for easy weeknight meals.
Zucchini noodles are a great alternative to pasta!
Say hello to your new pasta alternative. No quilt here and they are also gluten-free!!Print
Zucchini Noodles With Arrabbiata Sauce - Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo
3 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
½ T. crushed red-pepper flakes
½ c. tomato paste
2 c. fresh tomatoes, chopped and seeds removed
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. garlic powder
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
4 large firm zucchini, peeled
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh basil, cut into thin slices
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1. Prepare the sauce by heating olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and heat until fragrant. Reduce heat to medium-low, then add tomato paste, tomatoes, oregano, and garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
2. Simmer until sauce is slightly reduced, approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. While the sauce is cooking, slice zucchini into thin, long noodles with a spiral slicer. (If using the Paderno Tri-Blade Vegetable Spiral Slicer, use the small “shredder” blade to create spaghetti-like strands). Cut the noodles with kitchen scissors once they reach approximately 10 inches in length.
4. Place cut noodles on paper or clean kitchen towels to absorb excess moisture and set aside.
5. Heat olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until the garlic turns golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove garlic from the pan with a slotted spoon or fork and discard.
6. Add zucchini noodles to skillet and sauté for approximately 2 minutes. While cooking, use tongs to flip the noodles to ensure they are warmed on each side. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and set aside.
7. Remove from heat and toss with warm arrabbiata sauce. To serve, transfer to a serving dish and top with sliced basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Keywords: zucchini noodles with arrabbiata sauce